Author Topic: Intel versus AMD Rant  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Ice

• Administrator
  • Pro Forum User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.liquidendeavor.com
Intel versus AMD Rant
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:57:27 PM »
http://www.blackviper.com/TheRant/amd.htm

That article is biased, but true.

If your cooler is insufficient and the temperature exceeds the maximum operating temperature, then this does not mean that the CPU is automatically damaged. With AMD CPUs, you will usually encounter crashes if the CPU is overheated; but these go away as soon as the CPU is cooler again.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

As of today (88 Degrees Fahrenheit, with my system being at around 45-50 degrees Celsius), my AMD-powered system has crashed a couple of times because of heat*.  My brother's Pentium 4 did not crash yet.  Well, that should tell ya something...

* My system works fine in cold temperatures.
This is the -IceFox- signing out.

Offline DARK SHADOWMASTER

• Old Skool
  • Pro Forum User
    • View Profile
BLAH!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 12:13:46 AM »
:twisted:
AMD still kicks Intel's butt any day!
 :alien:
Mirkon: Df, I've been hit by rocks more profound than that post. I mean, really. Just... Rocks.
-DARK-
~SHADOWMASTER~

"Your Death Is Only The Beginning"

Offline TJ

• Administrator
  • Pro Forum User
    • View Profile
    • The Old Messy Basement
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 02:03:23 AM »
amd processors should be good up to 80 - 90 degrees celsius. don't know what's wrong with yours. my duron runs hotter than your system and it runs for days at a time trouble free.

maybe your system monitor is faulty and reporting temperatures much lower than they actually are.
"If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off."

Offline Goliath

• Old Skool
  • Pro Forum User
    • View Profile
Intel versus AMD Rant
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 02:23:09 AM »
Surprisingly enough, I thought the article was reasonable. It looks biased because it focuses on AMD's "marketing tricks" and whatnot while ignoring Intel's. The information itself, however, looks pretty accurate. A good read, if you can keep an open mind and take nothing personal (especially if you're pro-AMD...which, to an extent, I am. =)

I haven't had any cooling problems with my 2000+ XP ever since I swapped out the cheap aluminum heatsink that came with the CPU in favor of a Volcano 9. It's running at about 55 celsius right now (not bad, considering the tower is heavy Japanese steel and it's next to a window in summer temperatures...)
WoW has taken over my life. o.O

Offline TJ

• Administrator
  • Pro Forum User
    • View Profile
    • The Old Messy Basement
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 01:38:12 PM »
one thing i do agree with is that amd's model numbers are crap. even amd admits that. however, if you contradict the article, and focus specifically on the mhz, from my experience, amd processors perform better than intel processors of equal mhz.

something i did find kinda hypocritical about the article is that at one point, he was slamming benchmarks where amd's used ddr ram and out performed intels with pc133, yet later, he was touting how much intels with rambus out performed amd's with ddr.

one thing i did agree with is that amd seems to be trying to get "more blood from a stone". the athlon blew the p3 out of the water, but since then, the athlon architecture has gotten old. intel developed a new architecture (p4) and is now blowing the athlon out of the water. i think amd took the athlon's life cycle a couple generations too far and should have started developing a new architecture instead of milking every dollar they could out of the old one. oh well, maybe when the athlon 64 hits mass consumption the tables will turn again and amd will again be top dog of processors.
"If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off."

Offline BroodWarrior

• Old Skool
  • Senior Forum User
    • View Profile
Intel versus AMD Rant
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 11:12:08 PM »
well my comp has been on 4 days straight in a heat wave (35 celsius+)and I have had no heating problems with my duron chip
I have a case fan but I haven't even installed it yet
I am not necessairly an amd fan I have had problems with them in the past but this was the only chip that fit the motherboard I have so thats what I have

Offline Litho

• Old Skool
  • Forum Queen
    • View Profile
    • http://litho.gamedev.lt/
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 08:31:21 AM »
Interesting that amd performs better than intel and is cheaper :thumbs:
Yeah!
I have 2000+ XP and it's constantly running on ~58 celsius. Yeah, hot, because my PC is placed in a damned corner with no clear ventilation. :)
Anyway, I had crashes. Why? Because my cpu's temperature reached the limit, which was 62 celsius. Windows just detects that the limit is reached and it stops, so that the cpu could cool down. However, like TJ Kat said, only 80-90 is dangerous. So you just have to go to your bios setup and change the Limit temperature to what you want. Just higher ita couple of degrees and you'll be fine. :thumbs:
And Opteron is on sale... I think... w00t!
Stuck and left alone inside an old lift...
Please tell me if I made any mistakes.